The DiversiLab® System employs the following simple steps to generate unique, reproducible fingerprints for each of your microbial samples.
- DNA Extraction: Extract DNA from isolated cultures.
- rep-PCR Amplification: Amplify samples using rep-PCR* and the appropriate DiversiLab DNA Fingerprinting Kits.
- Detection: Separate fragments via electrophoresis performed in a microfluidics DNA LabChip®.
- Data Analysis: Analyze data in real time with reports accessible via an individual secured website.
*rep-PCR: amplification of noncoding repetitive sequences interspersed throughout the bacterial genome using Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR).
Based on patented rep-PCR technology, microbial isolates can quickly and accurately be distinguished at the subspecies and strain level.
For Clinical Laboratory:
- Compare samples from multiple patients, locations or dates
- Utilize pre-validated libraries for characterization of niche organisms
- Replace serological typing for E. coli and Salmonella
For Clinicians and Administrators:
- Proactively uncover hidden reservoirs of resistance
- Control the spread of HAIs using same-day strain typing
- Separate community-associated from healthcare-associated Staphylococcus aureus
- Track seasonal outbreaks from year to year
More about uses>>
Features and Benefits
The DiversiLab® System is advanced technology to address today's challenges of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and augments current HAI prevention activities.
Transparency of Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs):
State and Federal legislation for mandatory reporting are driving hospitals to reduce HAIs to increase patient safety and quality of care.
HAIs Impact Hospital Profitability:
- Medicare currently reduces payments for specific HAIs as of October of 20081.
- HAIs reduce inpatient margins by an average of $5,0182.
- MRSA HAIs are estimated to cost an average of $35,000 and increase length of stay by up to 10 days3.
Strain typing helps reduce HAIs:
Studies indicate that incorporating a strain-typing program in your institution reduces your HAI rate by up to 23%4.
Need for rapid strain typing:
Rapid strain typing results are required to help Infection Control Practitioners locate the source of microbial outbreaks quickly.
The DiversiLab® System provides same day strain typing for real-time epidemiological investigations. The highly reproducible fingerprint patterns can be stored to facilitate historical tracking and help uncover hidden reservoirs of resistance.
As part of a comprehensive Infection Control program, the DiversiLab System will help track the source and spread of microbial infections and contamination more quickly, more accurately, and more cost-effectively than any other solution on the market.
1 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, found at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HospitalAcqCond.
2 Murphy D, Whiting J, Dispelling the Myths: The True Cost of Healthcare-Associated Infections, Feb 2007, www.apic.org.
3 Association for Professionals In Infection Control and Epidemiology, Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Backgrounder, found at: http://www.apic.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ResearchFoundation/NationalMRSAPrevalenceStudy/MRSABackgrounder.pdf.
4 Peterson F, Noskin G, New Technology for Detecting Multidrug-Resistant Pathogens in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Emerging Infectious Diseases, Vol. 7, No. 2, March-April 2001: 306-311.
More features >>