Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction tests (RT-PCR) are the recommended technology for the fast and accurate diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 disease.
BIOFIRE® RESPIRATORY PANEL 2.1 is a syndromic rapid test that includes the detection of SARS-CoV-2. The BIOFIRE RP2.1 detects 21 additional respiratory pathogens to help clinicians quickly rule out other common causes of respiratory illness in about 45 minutes.
Authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization
Extraction & RT-PCR Testing
NUCLISENS® Extraction Systems: EMAG® and easyMAG® equipment and associated reagents are essential for the extraction of nucleic acids prior to the amplification and detection of specific gene sequences used on several SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR tests available on the market.
SARS-COV-2 R-GENE® is an open platform real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test for the qualitative detection of the SARS-CoV-2 . It allows mid-to-high throughput molecular laboratories to receive results in 4 to 5 hours.
Authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization
VIDAS® SARS-COV-2 IgM and VIDAS® SARS-COV-2 IgG are automated qualitative assays for the detection of immunoglobulin M and immunoglobulin G, specific to the SARS-CoV-2 antigens in humans. These assays will work on all VIDAS® systems with no software updates required and will provide separate IgG and IgM results within 27 minutes.
This test is allowed to be marketed under policy D of the FDA Policy for Diagnostic Tests for Coronavirus Disease 2019 during the Public Health Emergency; Immediately in Effect Guidance for Clinical Laboratories, Commercial Manufacturers, and Food and Drug Administration Staff document issued May 11, 2020.
BIOMÉRIEUX AGILIST software-as-a-service provides speed and agility that is essential to COVID-19 reporting. Our dynamic dashboards provide meaningful insights that help hospitals and clinicians monitor, analyze, and visualize their COVID-19 data. Click here to request more information on our 30-day, no obligation trial.
BioNumerics SARS-CoV-2 Plug-In is a tool that facilitates the processing and analysis of SARS-CoV-2 genomic sequences whether generated by your own sequencing system or downloaded from a public database. Each genomic sequence imported in BioNumerics is analyzed for Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNP) relative to the NCBI reference sequence for SARS-CoV-2 (NC_045512). Create dendrograms and minimum spanning trees to visualize viral strain relatedness.
Other Biomarkers Supporting COVID-19
Studies have found that a significant number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients are continuing to develop serious – and sometimes deadly – bacterial co-infections.1 Additional diagnostic biomarkers can support well informed and timely clinical decisions throughout a patient’s stay in the hospital.
Acute kidney injury (AKI) is an emerging complication associated with COVID-192 and a frequent complication among patients in the intensive care unit (ICU) who have or have had a respiratory compromise. bioMérieux is committed to providing continued support to facilitate the utilization of the NEPHROCHECK® Test [TIMP-2 • IGFBP-7] to aid in assessing the risk of moderate to severe AKI.3
PCT testing on admission may provide additional information for early risk assessment and rule-out of bacterial coinfection in suspected COVID-19 patients.
Monitoring of PCT may be used to identify secondary infections and progression to a more severe disease state such as sepsis or septic shock.
D-dimer reflects the presence of stabilized fibrin, which has made this marker a useful tool in the diagnosis of venous thromboembolism (VTE).4 The VIDAS® D-DIMER EXCLUSION II™ test is indicated in conjunction with a pre-test probability model for the exclusion of VTE in outpatients (e.g., Emergency Department).
Click the icons below to learn more about:
- Not enough evidence currently exists that SAR-CoV-2 acts any differently than other viruses with respect to procalcitonin levels. VIDAS® B•R•A•H•M•S PCT™ is not cleared for the detection of SARS-CoV-2, and is not intended to be used as a stand-alone diagnostic assay and should be used in conjunction with clinical signs and symptoms of infection and other diagnostic evidence.
- The VIDAS® D-DIMER EXCLUSION II™ test is not indicated to assess the risk nor the severity of SARS-CoV-2.
- The NEPHROCHECK® Test has not been specifically evaluated in patients with COVID-19 and the NEPHROCHECK Test is not FDA cleared to assess the risk nor severity of respiratory issues associated with COVID-19.
- BIOFIRE® RESPIRATORY PANEL 2.1 and SARS-COV-2 R-GENE® have not been FDA cleared or approved;
- BIOFIRE® RESPIRATORY PANEL 2.1 and SARS-COV-2 R-GENE® have been authorized by FDA under an EUA for use by authorized laboratories;
- SARS-COV-2 R-GENE® has been authorized only for the detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens; and
- BIOFIRE® RESPIRATORY PANEL 2.1 and SARS-COV-2 R-GENE® have only been authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of in vitro diagnostics for detection and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 under Section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 360bbb-3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.
- This test has not been reviewed by the FDA.
- Negative results do not preclude acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. If acute infection is suspected, direct testing for SARS-CoV-2 is necessary.
- Results from antibody testing should not be used to diagnose or exclude acute SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E.
1. Michael J Cox, et al. Co-infections: potentially lethal and unexplored in COVID-19. The Lancet, April 24, 2020.
2. Wendling P. Kidney complications in COVID-19 send hospitals scrambling. Medscape Medical News. April 20, 2020. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/929073. Accessed April 30, 2020.
4. Bockenstedt P. D-dimer in venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:1203-4.
PRN 056352 Rev02.A