A DOUBLE MISSION
Within the department, all Information Technology (IT) career paths with applications in the world of healthcare are represented: computer programmers, specialists in applied mathematics, bioinformaticians, etc. Many of our researchers have degrees in both biology and computer science.
They play two key roles:
- Contributing to the development, improvement and updating of the software applications installed on our systems.
- Playing a scientific role by providing computer and biostatistics services to all the research and development laboratories.
AT THE CUTTING-EDGE
bioMérieux opens the door to the future for microbiology laboratories thanks to our expertise in the field of infectious diseases and our know-how in the integration of innovative technologies.
In order to ensure continuous improvement in terms of ergonomics and the user-friendliness of our systems, we organize user tests in all the major geographic regions of the world.
The results of these initiatives allow us to develop original and innovative graphic interfaces.
Expert software: scientific and medical updates
Our teams are constantly introducing the latest scientific and medical advances into our interpretation software. We base our work on the bioMérieux bacteria collection as well as on information provided by our hospital collaborators to enhance our expert software and to adapt to constantly-evolving resistance to antibiotics. We want to ensure physicians will have the biological basis for a sound diagnosis. In 20 years, bioMérieux has come out with four generations of expert systems and made them available to the medical community.
The ADVANCED EXPERT SYSTEM™ on the VITEK® 2 range, which analyzes bacterial susceptibility to antibiotics, is updated and enriched with new data on a regular basis.
Upstream of product development, exploratory research looks at vast quantities of data produced by efforts to identify genetic markers in the oncology field. Such research requires extremely large data storage capacities as well as expertise in mathematical analysis and bio-informatics. Our multidisciplinary teams in the Information Technology Department include a number of scientists who are in close contact with the academic world.
New solutions are developed to improve laboratory workflows and data management.
- In the clinical field: We offer our customers integrated solutions combined with systems designed to support clinical decision making: STELLARA® software, which allows the clinician to receive the patient’s results in real time via a mobile application, is one example.
- In the pharmaceutical field: bioMérieux has integrated the MIMS™ software, created by CSSC, into VITEK 2 COMPACT, our microbial identification system. This innovation enables total traceability and guarantees optimal operations, as well as in-depth knowledge about the effectiveness of environmental control systems in production areas.
- In the agri-food sector: With the launch of BCI-Net, bioMérieux was the first company to offer a connection interface allowing the exchange of data between, first, the laboratory’s information management system and, second, its systems for the detection of pathogenic agents (VIDAS®) and enumeration of quality indicators (TEMPO®).